Saturday, April 21, 2012

Day 2 Fair Hill CIC 3*

   
Expensive lessons are sometimes the ones we get the most out of!  I earned myself three stops on the CIC 3* course today.  As I sit here at Fair Hill, with Frankie happily resting in her stall, I think about how strange it is that I am not upset.  I, of course, feel really disappointed in myself because I am capable of riding better than I did today but I am not upset or feel that I've lost any of the training we've added the last year.  Hell, a year ago I was entering the OP at Maydaze wondering if I'd ever even run the OI again!  Now look at us, we are running the Advanced level and qualified for the 3*!  I've had a GREAT spring and that cannot be taken away from me.  
I think today can be taken in stride for several reasons.  One reason is I have seen and heard of a lot heartbreak this year.  Early this year, my friend lost her horse, currently Jan won't be riding at Rolex this year due to injuries with her horses that are just enough to keep her from competing, and all the stories I've read and heard about riders trying to make the Olympic team.  Everyone in this sport works hard and sacrifices, and everyone, and I mean EVERYONE has days where it just does not go their way.  I am just feeling lucky that I will have the opportunity to work on what I need to so that I can give Frankie the ride and support she needs.  To sum all that up, I have been careful this spring to not let the highs get too high, so the lows (that we all know are inevitable), don't get too low.  
Jan warmed me up for XC and even though the ground was ROCK hard, I felt like she was really relaxed.... maybe a little too relaxed after the 35 min hack to XC warm- up.  Fences 1, 2, 3 were very simple and perhaps a tiny bit smaller than what Pine Top and Southern Pines threw at us so I never really got her into a good gallop before the first big question at 4A, B, a chevron then bending right in 4 strides to a left handed corner (with the ground really falling left- pulling you left.)  I galloped down the hill to 4A, stretched up and she came right back, a little too easily for her and she was no longer in my hand.  The soft jump I had at A, needed to be my clue that I needed to land and do something.  Oh... wait, I did do something- I pulled.  That is never the right answer and I know that.  Frankie thought about it and luckily knew the power was not there to jump the corner and ran out left taking out the flag with her face.  Now I really had a problem.  I was not real sure HOW to get back to the corner nor did I know if I could get her to jump the corner with the flag now gone.  I came around again hunting for a line.... nope; it was not there- circle #2.  I figured I'd try one more time and to my surprise, she jumped the crap out of it!  
From there we had a hammock then a table that allowed a little more of a gallop and she jumped them well.  Next we had to somewhat pull them off their gallop to make an "S" type turn to the first sunken road.  For fear of over riding her and using up all my power at the beginning of the sunken road, I did not do anything with my canter out of the "S" turn which left us powerless and flat.  Combine that with no leg and we all know the result.  It was not a jarring, sliding stop.  It was almost a walk/ stop.  
Jan and Wayne were both on course and were able to see the mistakes at both fences.  Jan was so positive as I walked over to her and says it happens to everyone and that it will happen again down the road.  She reminded me that I will have days where my inexperience shows and days that I don't ride as well as I can.  "The only way to get experience is to get out here and get it. Today showed your inexperience but this is an Advanced mare.  You will get it."  Jan said. We also talked about me never having her in my hand and how my reaction has to be to kick- never pull.    
I have spoken with Wayne too and he felt the same way- that I just never got her going and that she looked way too "quiet."  I have to admit, I was a little shocked at her quietness as well.
I always try to find the positive in every situation and in this situation there are actually several.  I learned several lessons today, the ground was REALLY hard so maybe it was a blessing in disguise, Frankie is smart and I am glad she knew I did not have her in the canter to get it done, nothing happened today that took away our confidence, and best of all, Frankie and I have the opportunity to get it right the next time.
Luckily Jan and I can have a mini- camp next week while she is in town.  I am prepared for a good butt whipping!  LOL. I deserve it after today and am actually looking forward to it!  
Hope everyone makes it to Rolex and that all the horses and riders have wonderful rides next weekend! 

2 comments:

  1. Susie, I loved reading this. I feel disappointed for you that it wasn't the ride we all hoped you would have, but because your love of the sport and of Frankie and your determination to do what's right, stay positive and learn from everything is so very evident. I have always said I couldn't be happier that if I had to sell Frankie, that she found you... and that is true more than ever today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much. Walking the SJ with Lindsay today was sad. It would have been a great track for Frankie and me.
    Jan and I are going to work everyday she's in town for Rolex. I am really glad she will be in town.
    I am going to head to Chatt Hills in May and hopefully make a trip to Jan's the last week of May. From there, we will make a plan for the fall.
    The good news is that she feels great- it was all me. Too much hacking and not enough forward. It is fixable so we.will fix it and move on.
    Even if I never go any farther, I love this little orange mare so much and am just so happy to have her. I have gone farther than I ever imagined we go and it's been an amazing journey.

    ReplyDelete