Tuesday, April 10, 2012

10 Day Countdown

Today marks 10 days out from Fair Hill.  I have been counting down one way or another for some time now but with today being 10 days away from actually leaving for the show, it is all becoming more and more real.

I went last week to the USEF office and upgraded Frankie's passport from her National passport to an International passport or I as I like to call it, "Purple Passport."  I am learning it is a very surreal feeling when your dreams are actually happening. 

Since Southern Pines, and making the decision to enter the CIC 3*, everything pertaining to Frankie has been calculated.  Her swim days, conditioning days, hack days, and lesson days have been chosen with a deliberate purpose.  She feels so strong physically and is handling her level of fitness very well mentally. 

We went to Masterson yesterday to ride in the outdoor ring and work on the movements in the 3* test.  It was incredibly windy but she was very workman like.  I cannot believe how much she has improved since last Fall.  This test calls for movements we have yet to perform in the arena such as the 1/2 pass from quarter-line to quarter-line, canter serpentines (with counter canter), using the width of the arena before the flying change, and canter directly from the rein- back across X.  It all comes up quickly, even in the large arena, and will require me to ride around the arena very accurately.  I learned yesterday if I turn too early to the quarter-line, I fail to set her up correctly for the 1/2 pass and reach the opposite quarter-line between X and B too quickly without showing much lateral work.  If I turn too late, I struggle to make it to the opposite quarter-line between X and B before changing the bend and 1/2 passing back left to the original quarter-line. 

Let's just hope I can ride it better than I draw it!


I know, I know.... you are probably thinking.... "It's the quarter-line- everyone knows where the quarter-line is."  Yea, I was thinking the same thing when I was memorizing the test.  However, as I learned yesterday it MUST be 5 meters off the rail.  Not 4 meters, not 6 meters but 5 meters exactly.  I finally got it right a few times in a row so we moved on and continued to break the test apart.   Frankie worked very hard the entire lesson and seems game for the new challenges we are facing. 

I will try to post daily from Fair Hill.  My parents are coming and bringing their camper so that makes me really happy but unfortunately, I don't think Tom will not be able to make this trip as it is already quite costly.  He will get updates from my Mom. I will miss having his help.  Luckily, Jenn O'Neill is allowing Hannah Brand time off for the weekend and she is coming to help.  Hannah is Jenn's working student and I know her help will be missed at the farm that weekend.  I really appreciate Jenn letting her come and appreciate Hannah wanting to come to help out- even if she is only coming to see my Mom! Lol. 

Until next time- here's to dreams that really can and do come true.  I am living mine and cherishing every second. 

No comments:

Post a Comment