Saturday, June 16, 2012

Trip to Surefire

The trip to Surefire did not go exactly as planned but I still learned a ton and had a great time!  Hannah Williams, her mom, Dorothy Curlin, and myself, set out for Surefire Monday June 11th at 4:30 am. Hannah took both of her horses so she stayed very busy all week.  Frankie LOVES the 2+1 box stall as much as she loves Megan Moore's horse bus!

When we arrived that afternoon, Jan discussed a schedule for the week with us.  She thought we should XC school first since there was a storm approaching that was bringing lots of rain and we may not be able to get out on course for a few days.  We began tacking up and off we went to the XC field.

I watched Jan teach Hannah first on her TB, Liam.  He can be quick so Jan had her slow it all down.  They made a lot of progress from beginning to end.  I warmed up and Jan sent me out to jump several things.  Frankie felt great so we headed to the back field to school the very downhill coffins Jan has.  We jumped a course that included about 10 fences and the prelim and intermediate coffins.  Before I went out we talked about the canter I needed at the coffins.  Frankie jumped well through the course.  Both coffins rode well, and Jan was pleased.  We both agreed I need to do it one more time just to get the feeling of the canter to the very steep, downhill coffins.  Off I went.  Tables one and two were intermediate size, flat top tables .... nice flowing gallop down the hill then back up the hill to a prelim size table.  I saw the galloping stride and Frankie saw an add that was not there.  I was pitched and tried to use my hand to break the fall on the far side of the jump.  There I was, roughly and hour after arriving at Surefire, sitting on the ground, hand bleeding and clearly not in good working condition.  Jan was right there so she had Frankie, who did not run off even when my vest exploded, and let me catch my breath that I had lost from the force of my vest.  Jan walked Frankie back we discussed the "miss" and how sometimes it just happens.

Kendal Tracy drove me the the ER while Kelty O'Donoghue took Frankie from Jan and did a wonderful job taking care of her and icing her while we were gone.  THANK YOU KELTY!  Kendal stayed with me for HOURS at the ER (and probably learned more about me than she ever wanted because they ask you so many questions) but we had a great time people watching.  Hospitals are interesting places.  Kendal kept me updated with what was going on with Frankie.  Another working student named, Hannah, whom I'd met last year, was getting dropped off with her young rider horse when we were headed to the ER and her Mom is a vet.  Jan had her Mom go over Frankie so I was relieved to hear that she checked out ok!  When Hannah and Dorothy finished up with Hannah's other lesson on Picante, and completed the feeding and all the wrapping, they met us at the hospital.

Tuesday was a day of downpours!  Hannah got SOAKED riding as I stood in the trailer and watched her lessons.  Jan got me into an Orthopedic Dr in Middleburg that day as well.  He was nice to see me on short notice.  Between the small fracture on my 3rd knuckle in my pointer finger and amount of soft tissue damage to the top of my hand, there would be no riding for me.  I think I expected him to have some magic dust! I am just glad that was all that I had done and I'd be back to my old self in no time.
Hannah with Frankie after tacking her up for Jan.


Jan rode Frankie the remainder of the time we were there and Hannah was able to get two lessons a day the entire week.  Frankie became more educated while we were there and Jan gave me some great tips on the flat to use with her.  Frankie looked amazing as I am sure you can imagine.  I am bummed that I was not able to ride more than the one day but I'm glad a minor hand injury is all that came out of the deal.
Jan & Frankie
In true me fashion, I am already planning on going back to Surefire to get the work in I feel I need to get done to be prepared for the CIC 3* at Richland in August.  Maggie and I have come up with a plan that I just have to clear with Tom!  

Jan & Frankie
I cannot thank Jan and ALL of the Surefire people enough.  Everyone was so helpful.  Hannah and Dorothy took great care of Frankie,and me as did the staff at Surefire!  Hannah has committed to a year at Kyle Carter's but has an invitation to Jan's- oh to be a kid again and have those types of decisions to make!!  I wish her the BEST of luck!  I will miss traveling with her and her Mom.  

Frankie and I are home now at Donamire and Maggie has been a HUGE help tacking her up for me to ride and doing all the things that require two hands- which is a lot of things I am learning!  Craig will be out to jump her this week as my hand is not quite strong enough to grip the left rein and Maggie will do some more serious flat work for me on her. I leave next week for a trip with my family to France so this vacation falls at a time when I need it and it will give mt hand time to heal.  I will be back just in time to be cleared and expect I'll be 100% by the time I return.  I have already improved tremendously!  I plan on returning to Jan's as soon as I get back from France.

My first event going into the fall will be the OP at Cobblestone.  With school beginning in early August my options are somewhat limited with where I can go.  So when looking at the schedule, I chose to go where I know they will take care of the footing and provide some questions.  It's too bad a venue has not picked up the Advanced HT we lost when Maui Jim went away.  I have not really made plans beyond Richland but I have several scenarios.  I like knowing all my options more than feeling like I only have one option.

Good luck to everyone at Mid-south at the KHP this weekend!!

No comments:

Post a Comment