Monday, March 5, 2012

Countdown to Southern Pines

We are 17 days from shipping to Southern Pines so the countdown has begun! Things are starting to take shape for the trip. Originally Frankie was supposed to ride down on Jenn O'Neill's trailer with Lewis and Hannah Williams' horse Liam. That plan was changed slightly when Megan Moore offerd the 3 of us spots on her new 6 horse head to head. 


We all live about 5 miles from each other so this really made sense! The more the merrier! It will be a fun trip! I am also thrilled that my husband, Tom, and my Mom will be making the trip. Tom is really playing a huge roll in this Southern Pines weekend! He is taking time off work to drive me the 9 hours to Raeford, NC after I work on Thursday.  He is looking forward to playing a round or two of golf while he's there too! The plan will be to drive Frankie over to Megan's for a 4am departure that Thursday then I will go to work for the day. I'll meet Tom at home after work and off we will go. My Mom will be making her own 9 hour trip from PA and meet us there. It appears that we will arrive between 1 and 2am. 


It is really hard for me to send Frankie and not ride with her but I trust the crew that will be taking her. Jenn has always treated her as she would treat Lewis and from being at the last couple of shows with Megan, I know she and Andrea, Megan's groom, will do the same.  It really does take a village! 


I hate the fact that I am unable to pre-ride her on Thursday.  The way the two Pine Tops were scheduled in January, the first one was a one day on Friday along with the second one, as well; they each required two days off from work so I cannot take two more days to go to Southern Pines.  


Keeping with my positive attitude, it will all work out and it is what it is.   I am fortunate to be involved in two professions I love.  My work as a school teacher actually keeps me very balanced.  I work with wonderful people but they have their own things going on, just as I do.  When I returned on Monday from the Advanced at Pine Top, a few of my fellow teachers asked me how it went (and my team of teachers texted me through the weekend) but for the most part what I had just accomplished was unimportant and went unnoticed.  Talk about balance and a reality check.  To my professional development as a classroom teacher, completing the Advanced at Pine Top was not important.  However, I think that by showing the kids that hard work pays off, ups and downs will occur, you must pick yourself up and try again, and that dreams can be accomplished if you want it bad enough is a lesson that goes beyond the classroom.  I share my successes and failures with my students.   


I took a group of people XC schooling yesterday and once of them said to me, "You must still be on such a high from your Advanced run last weekend."  I honestly thought to myself, "Wow, that was just last weekend."  A lot has happened since that moment Frankie and I galloped through those finish flags.  I think if you work in a non-equine profession you are forced to have a balance that helps you get along in the "real world."


The next 17 days are mapped out with a busy work schedule of meetings, professional development, and getting acclimated to a new student teacher.  After that part of my day ends, the afternoons and weekends are filled with show jumping lessons, dressage lessons, swim days, hack days, and a dressage show.  I am looking forward to every minute because I know at any time, it can all change.  


Hug those you love and kiss your ponies.  :)   

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful blog. I love horses! I work at Midway College and I love visiting the horses on our farm. You're very talented! It's always good to find fellow KY bloggers on here :) You officially have a new follower. Feel free to follow my blog as well. Keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I will check your blog out as well! Enjoy this amazing weather!

      Delete